FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
- Two properties, Le Renaissance and Jazz Suites were among the condominiums which recorded the Highest Capital Growth in 2018.
- Five featured properties have median prices which are lower than the 2019 Malaysian House Price Index (MHPI) of RM426,155.
- Two featured properties are located in popular tourist locations, Amber Court in Genting Highlands and Berjaya Times Square in Bukit Bintang.
- Three of the featured high-rise residences are located above a shopping mall or a retail hypermarket chain which shows that renters are attracted to convenience when selecting a rental property.
KUALA LUMPUR, 9th June 2020 – iProperty.com.my reveals the seven high-rise properties in Malaysia which offer the best rental revenue (yield) in proportion to the property’s price in 2019. 2019. These residential properties which are located in several states recorded gross rental yields ranging from 5.71% to 11.1%. The list is based on data compiled by iProperty.com.my‘s big data solution, iPropertyIQ.com. The properties are ranked in ascending order and the rental yield is displayed in terms of percentages (%).
1. Le Renaissance – Bukit Kepayang, Negeri Sembilan
Rental Yield: 11.1%
- Built-up size which generated top rental yield: 1,367 – 1,500 sq ft
- Median property price for 1,367 – 1,500 sq ft: RM270,000
- Median rent in 2019: RM2,500
A 9-storey freehold condominium, Le Renaissance is located in the prime neighbourhood of Taman Bukit Kaya. Although it may be an old development, Le Renaissance is very well-maintained and bears the top property fundamentals – a great location which is close to the Seremban city centre, spacious units, good security and boasts a low-density environment. Hence, it is not surprising that this condominium, which was the only one to exceed the 10% rental return mark, was also one of the top condos in 2018 with great capital growth.
Le Renaissance serves as an attractive rental option for families considering its big built-up sizes which feature 4 bedrooms each, a safe and secure environment and proximity to various schools including St.Paul’s Institution, SMK Puteri, SMK Methodist, SK Puteri and SMK King George V. Plenty of commercial components are located within a 3KM radius, such as the Seremban Gateway Mall, Palm Mall, Tesco Extra and KPJ Specialist Hospital. Moreover, the Seremban Toll Plaza (PLUS Highway) located just 1KM away lends a connectivity appeal.
2. Amber Court – Bentong, Pahang
Rental Yield: 8.8%
- Built-up size which generated top rental yield: 1,184 – 1,302 sq ft
- Median property price for 1,184 – 1,302 sq ft: RM340,000
- Median rent in 2019: RM2,500
Located in Genting Highlands, Amber Court is an old, 20-storey freehold apartment. Amber Court is situated close to many tourist attraction spots and offers amazing mountain views. As a result, most of its units are rented out as homestays which is perfect for travellers looking for affordable rent prices in a holiday destination.
Despite being an ageing apartment with sub-par conditions, the lack of accommodation during peak tourist seasons at Genting Highlands could be the main reason for Amber Court’s continued tenant demand. This, coupled with Amber Court’s stagnant property median price which has not appreciated much over the years, could be why its rental yield topped almost 9% in 2019.
3. Larkin Utama (Menara Metro Larkin) – Johor Bahru, Johor
Rental Yield: 8.5%
- Built-up size which generated top rental yield: 1,078 – 1,448 sq ft
- Median property price for 1,078 – 1,448 sq ft: RM155,000
- Median rent in 2019: RM1,100
Larkin Utama is a mid-range leasehold apartment in Johor Bahru which is still showing strong rental performance. Built in 1999, the apartment is in a strategic location close to the Royal Johor Golf Club, as well as other amenities such as KPJ Puteri Specialist Centre, Larkin Bus Terminal, Merdeka City Park and Danga Bay City Mall; along with educational institutions such as Larkin 2 National School and St Joseph Secondary School.
Larkin Utama also stands out in terms of facilities, offering more than what typical apartments offer, such as a tennis court, squash court, gymnasium, swimming pool and sauna, mini-market, children’s playground and a barbeque area. Residents are guaranteed 24-hour security too, with regular guard patrols.
4. Berjaya Times Square – Jalan Imbi, Kuala Lumpur
Rental Yield: 6.02%
- Built-up size which generated top rental yield: 550 – 678 sq ft
- Median property price for 550 – 678 sq ft: RM578,000
- Median rent in 2019: RM2,900
Berjaya Times Square has been a prominent property within Kuala Lumpur’ Golden Triangle since its opening in 2003. This freehold integrated building in Bukit Bintang hosts a shopping mall, hotel, exhibition centre and serviced residences. It is within walking distance to numerous restaurants and shopping malls including Sungei Wang Plaza, Lot 10, Low Yat Plaza, Fahrenheit 88, Pavilion Kuala Lumpur and Starhill Gallery.
What’s more, the Imbi monorail station is located practically at the building’s entrance, making it convenient for residents and tourists to commute to other hotspots in the city centre. Berjaya Times Square’s location and accessibility is further bolstered by the fact that Jalan Imbi is well connected to other prime roads in the city including Jalan Sultan Ismail, Jalan Bukit Bintang and Jalan Tun Razak.
Facilities of its serviced residence include a large outdoor swimming pool, spa pool, fitness centre as well as table tennis and squash facilities. In addition, residents are able to enjoy the many retail, food and entertainment conveniences offered by the mall located just below. Similar to Amber Court, Berjaya Times Square is able to leverage on its location being within a popular tourist destination and its ability to draw in locals on weekends.
5. PLAZA 393 – Jalan Peel, Cheras
Rental Yield: 6%
- Built-up size which generated top rental yield: 718 – 732 sq ft & 902 – 980 sq ft
- Median property price for 718 – 732 sq ft & 902 – 980 sq ft: RM 301,500; RM360,000
- Median rent in 2019: RM1,500; RM1,800
A mid-range leasehold apartment, Plaza 393 is located along Jalan Peel in Cheras, Kuala Lumpur. This 18-year old property project provides its residents with a retail benefit, it is perched right atop an NSK Trade City outlet, which makes for easy grocery shopping. Furthermore, the project itself is sufficiently equipped with amenities such as a mini-market, jogging track, children’s playground, cafeteria and 24-hour security.
Plaza 393’s main selling point is its central location. There are a few popular malls located within a 1.5KM radius including Sunway Velocity Mall, Viva Mall, MyTown Shopping Centre, IKEA Cheras and AEON Taman Maluri. Moreover, abundant amenities are within walking distance – from local eateries to banks, pharmacies and the Cheras multi-purpose hall. In addition, the Cochrane MRT station is 600M away, further adding to its accessibility appeal.
6. JAZZ Suites @ Vivacity – Kuching, Sarawak
Rental Yield: 5.83%
- Built-up size which generated top rental yield: 1,004 – 1076 ft
- Median property price for 1,001 – 1,076 ft sq ft: RM535,000
- Median rent in 2019: RM2,600
Jazz Suites was another condominium which came out as the top property with the highest capital growth in 2018, alongside Le Renaissance. This leasehold condominium also stands out from the rest of the properties on this list by being the newest property, with its first phase launched in 2016.
The property shares the same retail variable as Berjaya Times Square and Plaza 393, being located right on top Vivacity Megamall which is reputed to be the biggest and most popular mall in Kuching. It is a popular homestay and short-term rental accommodation option amongst tourists, holidaying families and business travellers.
Facilities include gymnasium, swimming pools, library, entertainment room, sauna, clubhouse facilities and landscaped rooftop garden. Jazz Suites is located within the Kuching city centre, with top locations within easy reach including Swinburne University, Sunway College, Borneo Medical Centre, Kuching Specialist Hospital and King’s Commercial Centre. The Kuching International Airport is located 7KM away, further boosting Jazz Suite’s appeal as a convenient accommodation option.
7. The Palladium – Keramat, Kuala Lumpur
Rental Yield: 5.71%
- Built-up size which generated top rental yield: 1,141 – 1,238 sq ft
- Median property price for 1,141 – 1,238 sq ft: RM420,000
- Median rent in 2019: RM2,000
The Palladium is a freehold condominium comprising four 9-storey residential tower blocks nestled within the green and quiet Kuala Lumpur suburb, Keramat. Despite being the oldest property in this list at 27 years old, The Palladium is doing well on the rental front. This could be attributed to its strategic location near various commercial components and amenities, with three higher education institutions within 1KM radius, namely UniKL Business School, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia and TM Multimedia College (MMC). Several hospitals, including the National Heart Institute (IJN), KL General Hospital and Hospital Pusrawi, are within a 5-minute drive.
In addition, top shopping destinations such as Suria KLCC, Intermark Mall and Avenue K are nearby as well. Just like Plaza 393, an LRT station is within walking distance to the condominium, the Damai LRT station which is 900M away. Facilities include a squash court, swimming pool and mini-market made available to residents.
1) Since most high-rise residential buildings feature a selection of units with a few size ranges, median rent and median property prices can differ greatly within the same building. We have taken this into consideration when calculating the rental yield figures to avoid any distortion of data. For each winner, the specific built-up size range which garnered the top rental yield is highlighted. The rental yield figure presented is not an indicator for the overall building performance in 2019, but instead, it is only for the specified unit size range.
2) Residential projects with less than 5 transactions were not taken into consideration when selecting the top 7 winners.
3) Gross Rental Yield Calculation = (Monthly median rental X 12)/Median property price X 100
*Monthly median rental = The (asking) median rent is obtained from iProperty.com.my property listing database. Only monthly rents within the evaluation period (January to December 2019) are used to determine the median for each property project.
*Median Property Price: Sales data sourced from the Valuation and Property Services Department (JPPH) and captured by Brickz.my from. This data set was compiled by iProperty.com’s big data solution, iPropertyiQ.com.
About REA Group & iProperty.com.my
REA Group in Asia operates digital real estate sites, experiences and events which deliver the most comprehensive set of related property services and project marketing across South East Asia, including Malaysia (iProperty.com.my), and Thailand (thinkofliving.com and Prakard), and the Greater China Region, including Mainland China (myfun.com) and Hong Kong (squarefoot.com.hk and SMARTExpo).
Headquartered in Australia, REA Group is a multinational digital advertising company specialising in property. Listed on the Australian Securities Exchange (ASX:REA) we operate Australia’s leading residential, commercial and share property websites realestate.com.au, realcommercial.com.au and flatmates.com.au. REA Group is also a substantial partner in 99 Group which operates the 99.co and iProperty.com.sg businesses in Singapore and rumah123.com in Indonesia. REA Group also has significant shareholdings in Move, Inc through realtor.com in North America and Elara Technologies through proptiger.com, maakan.com and housing.com in India.
iProperty.com.my is headquartered in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and employs over 200 employees. With more than 3 million visits each month, iProperty.com.my is the market-leading property portal, offering a search experience in both English and Bahasa Malaysia. iProperty.com.my also provides consumer solutions such as LoanCare – a home loan eligibility indicator, News & Lifestyle channel – content to enhance consumers’ property journey, events – to connect property seekers with agents and developers offline, and much more.
For news related to REA Group and iProperty.com.my, visit www.iproperty.com.my/newsroom and discover residential property demand and trends, tech and product updates and more.